Wednesday 1 April 2009

Grantham's Mid Lent Fair.


Wednesday Afternoon - Heads or Tails - do I go down to the fair to take some photos??
As you can see Heads won and I'm here.
The fair arrives Saturday and is erected Saturday night and Sunday, and is in operation from Sunday lunch time, and is officially open Monday midday by the Mayor of Grantham. The fair lasts 3 days then closes around midnight on Wednesday.


Wednesday at 2pm I finished work and went down to get a few shots.

I found most of the rides shut, only the kiddies rides and stalls open.

The busiest and best time is of course at night-when the music and lights are ablaze, and also packed with people and teenagers shoulder to shoulder, with toffee apples, candy floss, hot dogs in one hand and a huge soft toy in the other hand. As a teenager, my fav ride was the Dodgems, with the sparks flying around as we drove around, the idea was to drive and dodge, BUT everyone used to head for their friends and bump them.

Who's willing to sit in the laps of the Green Giants and ride the Ghost Train, the girls screaming and clinging to you and us chaps trying to steal a kiss.



What better way to watch and enjoy the afternoon fair, is to watch with a pint or drink in your hand.

This friendly couple kindly let me take a photo or two of them.




Cheers to you my friends and hope you enjoyed your drinks and the fair.
(and the pics)

Dont forget to click and enlarge any photo to enjoy.






11 comments:

Cezar and Léia said...

Precious afternoon fair!
Many thanks for sharing this wonderful moment of joy!
Great pictures! I want candies and ice cream too!
Léia

ancient one said...

My children always called them bumper cars... and yes they ran into each other.. Looks like a good for everyone!

Rune Eide said...

That was like going the rounds with my children - they would have loved it (at least some years ago).

Ah, the days that were...

Rune Eide said...

I followed your advice and got to Lindisfarne, not an unknown place in our common history. Interesting story and setting.

PRW, You will probably dock in the immediate neighbourhood of Bergenhus Castle, where the video was shot.

Tom said...

I used to love fairs like these .. we still get them coming to town now.. maybe I should go this year..

Tom
Wiggers World

Jinksy said...

Candy Floss for me, every time!

Laura ~Peach~ said...

I LOVE The FAIRS and bumper cars!!! and fair foods OH MY GOodness HOW yummmy!

imac said...

Thanks for all your kind comments folks.

Lilli & Nevada said...

oh what fun

George said...

It looks like a wonderful fair. From your commentary I conclude that teenagers are the same the world over!

mrsnesbitt said...

Memories! The Dodgems! lol!